A remote control door lock is an essential addition to your home automation security. It adds strong security to your home's major entry points. In addition to that, it also brings convenience to your home automation experience.
Some smart homeowners may have already seen the benefits of the remote control door lock. But, they may have also already figured out that the smart device is not flawless.
Just like most devices, the remote control door lock can give positive effects to your daily life. But, it also has its fair share of flaws.
Knowledge of these advantages and disadvantages is important. This is because it will give you an idea of how to responsibly use them as a smart homeowner.
Pros of Having a Remote Control Door Lock
The remote control door lock may have some flaws. But, this smart device has a lot of advantages that people still use it until today. So, it is safe to assume that the advantages of this device outweighs its disadvantages.
So, here are some of the benefits that the remote control door lock can give to your smart home.
- No Keys Needed With Remote Control Door Lock. One of the notable features of the remote control door lock is that it allows keyless entry. And it is also one of its advantages.
Keys are small and people tend to lose them. With a keyless remote lock, you no longer have to worry about getting locked outside. You also no longer have to worry about forgetting your keys somewhere else.
In addition to that, with a remote control door lock, you no longer have to make a duplicate key. One of the reasons why we duplicate our keys is to hand it to love ones and trusted friends. This is so that they could enter your house even when you are away.
With a remote lock, you only have to make a unique passcode for every person that you have given access to your home. This unique passcode will serve as the duplicate key.
- Remote Control Door Lock Allows Wireless Control. The remote control door lock also allows wireless control. This means that you can lock or unlock this device with just one click from a remote control or smartphone.
So, you no longer have to put the groceries down to get the key and unlock the door. All you had to do is click unlock from your phone. All you had to do now is to enter your home with your groceries still in your arms.
This wireless feature will also be convenient to elders and disabled. With this, they no longer have to struggle leaning into the door lock to insert the key. All they had to do is use a remote control or smart phone to lock and unlock the door.
Cons of Having a Remote Control Door Lock
The advantages of having a remote control door lock outweighs the disadvantages. But, it is still worth the time to see these disadvantages, so a responsible use of this device can be promoted.
- Remote Control Door Lock Depends on Electricity. The manual door lock requires no power source at all. But, the remote control door lock depends on electricity.
Some models may depend on your home's electricity. So, it could take up space in your electricity bills. Besides, it may deemed nonfunctional when blackouts occur.
Some models may have been battery-powered, though. So, you only have to bother about replacing the battery every one year or two.
- Remote Control Door Lock Depends on Strong Signal. The remote control door lock is wireless. So, it may depend on protocols such as Bluetooth, Z-Wave, and Internet to be controlled remotely. It may be useless, though, when the device or your remote receives weak signal.
Some people use an app that depends on the Internet to control their remote lock. They may have difficulties controlling the device when they are in an area where the signal is weak.
- Remote Control Door Lock Might Get Hacked. Since the remote control door lock communicates in a wireless fashion, it may be prone to hacking. Some hackers had developed ways to decipher encrypted signals.
Your device might be using an outdated version or type of protocol. Such old versions are more vulnerable to hacks.
These flaws are minor compared to the major benefits that the remote control door lock can give. Do you want to have a first-hand experience of a remote control door lock? We, at Vera Control, are more than willing to help you with anything about home automation. Get in touch with us at +1 (866) 966-2272. Or let us read your thoughts at email@example.com.